Recipes

 I recently had a few requests for the recipes for my Chicken Stir Fry and Apple Crumble.  So on your own head be it - I'm giving them to you.
Are your ready? Ok.

 Chicken Stir Fry


I usually guesstimate quantities and adjust for taste and I normally cook for 4 or 5 people.

3 or 4 chicken breasts.
Packet of bacon (cut up into slices) 
Lots of your favourite veg such as carrot, onion, broccoli, peppers of all colours, beansprouts - anything that takes your fancy really - all cut up into batons or finely chopped.
Chinese 5 spice - probably about 1 teaspoon
Soy sauce -I usually just splosh it in (probably about 1 tablespoon)
Worcester sauce - again a splosh.

So I start by heating wok up quite hot and adding a small amount of olive oil, then I fry the chicken for about 5 minutes until browned or cooked through.
Next add bacon and continue cooking until bacon is browned. (3/4 minutes)
Add onions, carrots peppers etc.  I like all my veg to be quite soft and not to al-dente. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Finally in the last minute or so of cooking add beansprouts - they don't need long to cook.
I serve it with basmati rice.  We love it. Hope you do too, it's an easy dish that doesn't take too long to cook. The most time consuming part is cutting up all that veg  (but I find that quite therapeutic).

Apple Crumble (mmmm love this)


The Apples

1lb 8oz Bramley apples
8 oz Cox's apples
1oz light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (NOT Cumin) ;)
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves


For the crumble
3 oz chilled butter, cut into small dice.
6 oz self-raising flour
1oz Demerara sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon


Preheat oven to gas 6, 400oF (200oC)


Begin by peeling and coring the apples and cutting into slices.
Toss apple slices into a bowl with sugar, cinnamon and ground cloves. Then place them into the baking dish and put dish to one side.
Next, make crumble. It's easy as all is made in a processor. Put butter, sifted flour, cinnamon and sugar into processer and whizz until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. 
Now simply sprinkle crumble mixture over the apples, spreading right to the edges of the dish and with the flat of your hands press it down quite firmly all over. Then finish off by lighly running a fork over all the surface.
Bake in the centre shelf of the oven for about 34-40 minutes when the topping should be golden brown and the apples lovely and soft. 
Remember this will be very hot when straight out of oven - I speak from experience ;)
Serve with ice-cream, custard or cream.
Now tell me you're not in heaven. :))


I have re-read these recipes and I hope these all make sense to you, any problems give me a shout.

Comments

Eileen said…
Thanks Ellie, I will be trying the stir fry some time next week.
Bev said…
Thanks...sure they will taste as good as they look!
Annabella said…
You are quite the domestic goddess Ellie!
Anonymous said…
Mmm! Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipes. I am exactly the same; throw in amounts without measuring exactly- it always works well for me! :)
Unknown said…
That stir-fry looks delish!!!!
Debbie said…
oooohhh both look awesome!! i love sweets and treats and measure everything!!!
Karen said…
I can taste that stir fry all the way over the sea, here in Nova Scotia! I admit, I don't know what Chinese 5 spice is but I will look at the market and see if I can find some.
Thank you for sharing, Ellie.
Marsha Young said…
These both sound just wonderful. I probably cannot make them as well as you can, but I would like to give it a try, when things calm down a little. :)

Thank you for your kind comment today. blessings to you - Marsha
Sheila said…
Can I come for supper , yummy that looks terrific , I'll have to give this a go , thanks for the recipe.
Hello Ellie this looks delicious I will be trying both of these recipes.
Welcome to my Blog those photos are of an auction I went to, I go to a lot of auction sales and I like looking but not owning the glass. A little to expensive for me to drop. B
deb duty said…
Sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!
Lisa Gordon said…
This apple crumble is my dessert tomorrow night.
And MINE ALONE!!! No sharing!
Thank you for sharing your recipes here Ellie!
Pat MacKenzie said…
Just one question. What is Demerara sugar?? The two recipes together look like a quick and easy supper.
Mira said…
I love to cook, too. I've gave myself a task to cook only meals under 30 minutes. The only exceptions are stews that ask for longer simmering time (but no additional work LOL) This must be really delish! Thank you for sharing it with us.
Sounds absolutely incredible! Sounds so good on a chilly day :)
orchid0324 said…
Hello, this is Orchid.
Thank you for following me!!!
I'm looking forward to our relationship from now.
Sounds different from Japanese dish, doesn't it♬
Yours Sincerely, Orchid.
Diane said…
Ellie it sounds like you are a bit like me you chuck in whatever you have on hand :-) I always have a problem working out quantities to write a recipe. The Apple crumble sounds delicious, I always use half flour and half oats in my crumble perhaps I should try yours out. Diane
Rose said…
Sounds yummy...I make Apple Crisp...which uses oats in the topping.

Popular Posts